Aquatic Restoration Staff Scientist/Engineer
We have a current opening for an early career staff scientist or engineer based out of our Hood River, Oregon office. This position may be part time or full-time.
Firm Description: Since 1984, Inter-Fluve has been a leading water resources science and engineering firm specializing in river restoration. We have worked across the United States and internationally on projects that include dam removal, aquatic habitat restoration, wetlands assessment, floodplain restoration, watershed analysis, estuary restoration, and other water-related projects.
Our dedicated team of self-starting professionals share their passion for nature through their service to our clients. We apply a broad range of science and engineering skills to investigate and design restoration, enhancement, and recovery solutions for degraded riverine, wetland, estuarine and lake environments. Throughout our history, our company’s focus has always been to collaborate, explore, question, and advance our craft.
Visit our website to learn more about our story at www.interfluve.com.
Position Description: We are seeking a staff scientist, engineer, or engineer-in-training. The ideal candidate will have experience and education in a core discipline relevant to water resources restoration such as stream ecology, aquatic habitat biology, watershed hydrology, fluvial geomorphology, or water resources engineering. The candidate should have a firm understanding and experience with river and wetland ecosystem processes and be able to assist in various aspects of data collection, analysis, design, and implementation of river, estuarine, and wetland restoration projects.
Location: Hood River, Oregon (currently office work is primarily remote to reduce spread of COVID)
- Postgraduate degree or comparable experience in a core water resources discipline.
- Passion for aquatic ecosystem science or engineering and for restoration of aquatic systems.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively both as part of a team as well as independently.
- Demonstrated experience working with and communicating with BIPOC groups and individuals.
- Experience in one or more software programs used for analysis, communication, and design, including Autodesk Civil 3D, ArcGIS, HEC-RAS, Excel.
- Willingness to travel for up to 7 days at a time for projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Curiosity and willingness/ability to ask questions and seek out answers.
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Additional Desired Qualifications
- Professional experience with river, stream, estuarine, wetland and/or floodplain restoration projects
- Demonstrated understanding of issues of aquatic restoration from a non-white perspective (for example, Indigenous, Black, and/or Latinx relationships to water and place)
- Experience with topographic or bathymetric surveying including with GPS RTK, Total Station, sonar, or UAV-based methods
- Experience with scientific field surveys and sampling techniques for rivers and wetlands
- Wetlands delineation training or certification
- Experience with hydraulic analysis and modeling
- Construction oversight or management experience
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with the public and diverse stakeholder groups
- UAV pilot license
- Inter-Fluve, Inc. offers a competitive compensation package that includes paid time off, health plan, 401k with match, and more.
- Inter-Fluve is committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, neurodiversity, disability, age, veteran status, or any other aspect which makes them unique. All inquiries will be handled confidentially.
- If you would like to apply, please submit a Resume & Cover Letter via email to [email protected].